Sunday, October 18, 2009

a good night





tonight is a warm whisper

my body sighs
i peel away the self doubt
i bare my soul to myself and see that it is good

it is still good

as good as it was when i ran and laughed until it hurt late into the dark

me and my sisters
sticky with the scent of grass and dirt

giggles on our breath
a shared wallow in the bath
clean sheets

my mother's kiss
goodnight
i love you
our nighttime mantra

a clean bare heart quietly beating
under my favorite nightgown

what a surprise to come home
from the clamouring city of my day
loosen laces
shrug off soiled armor

and find that it is still there

still beating
still true

it hasn't missed a beat

and now
when i slip into my favorite nightgown of self-forgiveness
and close my eyes

my heart is just as clean
and just as bare

as it was that summer night in missouri
years ago

*

artwork by Audrey Kawasaki.... she is so amazing...

1 comment:

  1. Both the poem and artwork are beautiful....and so are you. Goodnight Laura, love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete