Monday, September 21, 2009

Late Night Notes from a Casual Straggler

Here's a little sumpin I wrote about city living...

Late Night Notes from a Casual Straggler

I clink the empty drink on the bar in front of me
and nimbly excuse myself from the thick steamy indoor revelry

I squeeze out the door and giggle past a gaggle of gloomy glib hipsters
smoking
fashionably moody
ignobly nonchalant
and leave them in their cool listless mist

Cornerside
I tip my hat to the hiccup and hobble of a homefree hobo
haggardly shuffling toward the grumbling underbelly of his underpass alcove

then quietly slide by the open door of a Mission bar
exhaling the musky breeze of the rowdy revelry of ranchero wanna-be's
hootin and hollerin over a madcap merengue melody

they whistle
i smile

Onward still

The searing rumble of a swift skateboard slices through the air to my right
a hooded young urbanite cascading into the night
dimly lit by a stuttering streetlight
a fast moving urban bat
his ipod whispering secrets into his ear
moving to a theme song none of us can hear

Meanwhile the rider looming low at the stoplight
haunts the hood heavy
simmering in the rattle and roar of his souped up DeVille
heaving deep gangsta beats into the streets
shiny wheels
tinted with the gleam of homeyville
broadcasting his ways always without apology

Noted.
I put in all in my poetic pipe and smoke it
then exhale it back into the night
as I weave my way through the dimly lit maze of the late night urban jungle byways.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I can smell and taste the air there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiya Lizard!!!!! All that time making up freaky stories with you on the playground is finally paying off! ;-) That underwater house was so real in my head that I can still see it today!

    ReplyDelete